In the Portuguese language, people who have an attitude of boldness, sometimes disrespect or rudeness are said to have a wooden face, which is cara de pau (pau rhymes with cow in English) in Brazilian Portuguese. The expression also describes someone who is hiding their true feelings. It is used in varying degrees, from kidding a friend to angry criticism. Here is how we can say say cara de pau in English.
1. Sports referees need to maintain a even when a world-famous athlete is arguing with them and cursing them.
2. People who buy tickets for public entertainment think it is unfair, disrespectful and for protesters to invade stages to promote their particular cause.
3. The Michigan citizens who invaded their state capitol building while fully armed demanding to reopen businesses shocked many people all over the world.
4. On May 30, 2020, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau outlawed assault weapons in Canada, effective on that date. His move showed a lot of as it suddenly became illegal to buy, sell, transport, import or use military-grand assault weapons in that gun-loving country.
5. Some world politicians, thinking they are being funny, answer reporter’s probing questions in
such a manner that it raises suspicions that the politician doesn’t really know the answer.
6. China officially denied foreign claims that they created Coronavirus in a lab and called the
accusation a lie.
Tattoos have been around for more than 5,000 years. Egyptians, for example, used tattoos to differentiate between peasants and slaves, a kind of social branding. But ink art, which is what some fans like to call tattooing, has really exploded in the past 25 years. But not all of us have succumbed to this fad. And many of us who don’t have a tattoo have a favorite mug. Having a tattoo or becoming attached to a mug are not dissimilar. According to research, 60% of Americans say they have an emotional attachment to a favorite mug. And about 40% said their special mug was irreplaceable, and about 1/3 of those said they would be devastated if it broke. Personally, I think that most of these people don’t have tattoos. Mugs and tattoos are both an extension of our personalities, and both express the way we would like the world to perceive us. That is not to mention, of course, that those of us who have tattoos or mugs are often irrationally attached to them.
Getting through this Pandemic is also difficult for those of us who are not taken sick. Watching the news evokes a full range of emotions in us. Try to fill in the blanks with the most appropriate word that shows reaction to each of the situations that we have been seeing or reading about. Most of us were at the length of time it took…
In December 2019 Chinese authorities detected a new outbreak of coronavirus. This one ws officially named SARS-CoV-2, and it causes the disease COVID-19. The virus is spreading too quickly for me to write an accurate number of its victims, but you can Google today’s numbers. It was on December 31, 2019 when China alerted the [simple_tooltip content=’World Health Organization, specialized…